With National Office in Kinshasa and field offices in the provinces of North Kivu, South Kivu, Haut Katanga and Tanganyika, the IRC is one of the largest humanitarian actors in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The IRC aims to save lives, to strengthen Congolese institutions and to reinforce social cohesion through carefully designed and professionally-implemented programs. The IRC has been working in the DRC since 1996 and currently operates in five core programming areas – primary health care, community-driven reconstruction and local governance, women’s empowerment and the prevention and mitigation of gender-based violence, education, and emergency preparedness and response. These programs reflect IRC’s guiding principles of capacity-building; participation; partnership; protection and promotion of human rights; and holistic programming.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Field Coordinator (FC) plays a key role in the overall leadership and management of the IRC DRC country office. Under the supervision of Deputy Director of Operations (DDO), the Field Coordinator will be responsible for the overall field coordination, program support, and field office management working in close collaboration with other members of the senior management team including the, Deputy Director of Program (DDP), Finance Controller, and Senior Sector Coordinators (Heath, WPE, …). The Field Coordinator will be based in Béni with frequent travel to Butembo to oversee IRC operations in this sub office.
Field Operational Management
• Coordinate all operational functions in the Béni and Butembo offices to ensure overall management of Grand North-based operational support team.
• Ensure operational support for program teams and coordinate with sector coordinators and managers for effective implementation of all project activities.
• Ensure health, safety and security protocols are followed at all times, and take corrective, timely actions as required and in consultation with the DDO and other SMT members
• Review IRC North Kivu security plans on a regular basis and ensure they are up to date at all times.
• Support budget holders in review of budget vs. actual reports with operations staff and ensure appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
• Support and coordinate with operations team all aspects of supply chain support, including procurement, stock management, asset management, vehicle and equipment renewal, maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment).
• Oversee under the auspices of the Finance Controller and DDO the financial management of field office operations, and finance/logistics staff, including cash management and transactions, operational budget.
• Ensure complete and correct use of all finance forms and timely communication of financial issues to the financial controller.
• Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance and logistics policies, including all aspects of procurement and asset management.
• Guarantee adequate communication and coordination between field locations, technical coordination staff and country office on daily activities as well as program and operational issues.
• Support emergency needs assessments and emergency program implementation in response to the developing humanitarian situation.
• Together with program and grant staff, develop programs and proposals for rapid and timely support of populations affected by conflict.
• Participate in the review of the strategic action plan (SAP) for IRC DRC Country Office (CO)
• Develop a Grand North-focused operations plan to support the program activities and the scale up programming according to the approved SAP.
HR and Staff Development
• Ensure the ongoing capacity building of operations team (SC, HR, Admin, IT & Security) through support to direct supervisors in ensuring staff performance evaluations and individual development plans
• Ensure appropriate support to the team through regular site visits and replacement of staff if needed
• Support field staff in the implementation of personnel policies including coaching, performance evaluation, staff development, and disciplinary measures.
Coordination and Representation
• Support the Senior Sector Coordinators and DDP to ensure quality implementation of the IRC DRC program interventions.
• Represent IRC to UN, international and national NGOs, and attend coordination meetings as needed at the provincial level.
• Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders at the provincial level including donors, government actors, local traditional leadership, beneficiary populations and their representatives, etc
• Establish and maintain networks with UN, INGOs, and local partners to promote strategic partnerships.
• Master’s degree required (management-related or general operations preferred);
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing operations and/or projects in developing countries, preferably in Africa;
• Demonstrated ability to manage field staff and remote field offices;
• Experience in logistics, HR/Admin, and security management
• Experience having managed operations (including security) in conflict-impacted setting
• Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
• Excellent staff capacity building and training skills
• Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills;
• Strong computer skills;
• Flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines
Specific Security situation/Housing
The territory of Beni, in North Kivu, has been in civil crisis for many years now and has many UN peacekeepers, but the situation remains very unstable. In August 2018, the territory also experienced the Ebola epidemic, which has increased many lives, including some health workers. The United Nations and the government and many humanitarian agencies have been present to fight the epidemic again, but the epidemic is still not contained.
IRC was present in the Far North even before the epidemic, providing services in the areas of primary health, protection of children, protection of women and empowerment and governance. The IRC is also one of the main actors in the fight against the Ebola epidemic in the fields of infection prevention and control (IPC), protection and training of health personnel.
The field coordinator for Beni and Butembo is a critical post who will be responsible for all IRC country program activities in close collaboration with the Emergency Response Team (ERT). This post will report directly to the IRC Deputy Director of Operations and will ensure close coordination with the various technical coordinators based in Goma.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
HOW TO APPLY: