1. ABOUT IHfRA
The Innovative Hub for Research in Africa is an independent laboratory that conducts surveys, studies, research and training across the African continent. Our multidisciplinary team of seasoned African experts, with extensive country experience and top notch skills, is committed to producing quality data based on international standards for evidence-based policies and operational solutions.
We provide insights on a myriad of sectors while taking into account cultural and geostrategic contexts as well as local markets’ maturity.
IHfRA’s goal is to become a privileged partner to stakeholders, namely development agencies, governments, NGOs and the private sector to design solutions to challenging development problems in Africa. For more information, please visit: https://www.hub4research.com/Home.php
Managing Director, at Innovative Hub for Research in Africa (IHfRA)
IHfRA seeks a Managing Director to oversee its operations across Africa as well as oversee the implementation of projects, and client liaison.
The Managing Director will report to the CEO and the Regional Director.
The Managing Director will contribute to driving large pieces of IHfRA’s work and strategy across
Africa Region. The Managing Director will be supported by high-quality Research Manager, Senior
Research Associates, Research Associates, Finance Manager, an excellent operations team that ensures a well-functioning organization, and a communications team to help amplify the Director’s voice in policy circles. The MD will be provided with bi-annual performance reviews (including feedback from peers and direct reports) to help them continuously grow and learn.
The Managing Director will be provided significant autonomy to leverage IHfRA as a platform to drive social impact in line with our mission “improving the welfare of people through informing client decision-making with high quality data and insights from primary and secondary research in Africa” while also being held accountable for the clear goals they will set for themselves in consultation with the CEO.
The position requires close interaction with researchers from multilateral and bilateral organizations, universities, local government authorities, and other implementing partners. The Managing Director, supported by the management team will lead strategic planning in each country, oversee finance and operations, build and strengthen systems for high-quality data collection, provide capacity building of local staff, and lead the sharing of evidence-based results with our clients.
This position can be based in either Burkina Faso, Benin Republic, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, or Nigeria, with a good amount of domestic and international travel (up to 30% dependent) to any African countries where we have a presence.
The Managing Director role at IHfRA is unique and tailored to specific individuals’ strengths.However, at a high level, this role will include:
• Lead, mentor, and guide project teams: Project leadership involves liaising with senior clients regularly, ensuring the highest standards of research quality and ethics, overseeing and mentoring teams, ensuring a safe and enabling atmosphere for colleagues, and keeping within project budgets. Most importantly, the Managing Director is expected to set and drive their projects toward client satisfaction
• Contribute to IHfRA strategies of market access: The Managing Director will be responsible for working closely with the management team to design, refine and implement on realizing IHfRA’s tactic across the African countries where we have a presence. The Managing Director will be responsible for identifying new business and skill acquisition opportunities across the globe and communicating these to the Regional Director for necessary action
• Represent IHfRA’s mission and values: Ensuring a strong alignment between the incoming Managing Director and IHfRA values is an important priority in this organization. The Managing Director is the face of IHfRA both externally and internally and will be expected to always and explicitly represent IHfRA’s mission and values. At IHfRA the well-being of our employees is sacrosanct as such, personnel management is a key requirement for this position
• Be a thoughtful leader, trustworthy advisor, and promoter of data-driven reforms: In addition to coordinating projects, the role holder will be expected to apply their considerable experience, expertise, and skills to promote evidence-informed action within one or multiple sectors, regions, provinces, or specializations. This includes bringing new initiatives on winning proposals, reports and journals, speaking at important conferences, harnessing relationships and networks within the impact community to develop trusted advisory positions with senior leaders, and participating in consultative councils within governments, foundations, and/or non-profits.
• Ensure sound operations and finances: The Director will provide oversite supervision and management of project budgets and client reporting, with support from the country office and finance teams in coordination with the Regional Director
• Mitigate and manage risks: The incoming Director should be ready to take steps to mitigate risks and to safeguard the organization’s reputation; communicate safety and security policies and wellness resources to local and international staff; ensure compliance with government laws and regulations, including updated rules and regulations in the implementation of Labor laws and the Data Privacy Act, and work with the Operations team and Local Counsel to gather up to date information and guidance;
- Master’s degree in development economics, international affairs, international public policy, or a field related to international economic development;
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience, including 5 years in a management position; preferably experience in research and policy engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to lead large teams and multiple projects;
- Demonstrated ability in personnel management
- Experience in developing research projects, experience with budgeting and project planning;
- Significant exposure to human resources and financial management;
- Passion for connecting rigorous research to policy makers and practitioners and communicating what works in development;
- Experience in developing technical proposals, grants and contracts management, preferably in a research setting;
- Good quantitative skills and familiarity with propensity score matching, difference in the difference and randomized controlled trials is an added advantage;
- Commitment to leading a diverse team in a multicultural environment and building staff capacity;
- Ability to communicate effectively across cultures with multiple stakeholders including international and local academic researchers, government officials, NGO partners, enumeration teams, and study participants;
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to work independently;
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player;
- Experience living and working in Africa;
- Experience in managing complex safety and security situations or working in volatile countries;
- Fluency in both French and English is required;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
We understand that no candidate will be able to excel in all these attributes. Instead, we are looking for leaders who significantly peak in certain attributes, while meeting a minimum threshold in all attributes. IHfRA is expanding and evolving quickly. We may suggest other suitable roles to candidates who apply, based on the overlap between IHfRA’s needs and candidates’ experience and qualifications.
Deadline: March 27, 2023
Start date: ASAP, no longer than May 15, 2023
Note: Applications will be reviewed on rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
5. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Persons of all gender, race, sex,, age, and identity are encouraged to apply by filling up the google form at: https://ihfra.surveycto.com/collect/DIRECTOR?caseid=
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next steps.